About Perth, Western Australia
Perth, the capital city of Western Australia, is a modern, vibrant and developing city, which offers a safe, friendly and unpolluted study environment for students.
Situated on the Swan River and only a few kilometres from surrounding beaches. Perth enjoys a Mediterranean climate with many hours of sunshine and a comfortably warm temperature most of the year! January is usually the hottest and July the coldest time of year!
Some beautiful sights of Perth include:
- The famous Kings Park offers superb views of Perth City and the Swan river. The park includes a 17 hectare Botanic Garden and a section of natural bushland. Enjoy Picnic areas with BBQ facilities, Parklands, Restaurants, Snack Bars and Function facilities, Cycling and bush-walking tours.
- The South Perth Foreshore offers sophisticated dining with spectacular views of the Swan River, Kings Park and the Perth city skyline. Experience the cosmopolitan atmosphere, multicultural cafes, casual dining takeaways and Recreational Water Sports.
- The Perth Zoo located in South Perth offers a unique Australia Walkabout experience with the chance to see all of Australia's wildlife in their natural habitat and enjoy a fascinating Australian Bushwalk experience.
- Caversham Wildlife Park has many Australian animals as well as some introduced species. Enjoy a unique interactive experience feeding and touching a range of Australian wildlife.
- Cottesloe Beach, City Beach and Scarborough Beach are Perth's most popular seaside spots. Cottesloe Beach is approximately a half hour train ride from the city and is known worldwide for its smooth sand, great surf and protected swimming areas. A couple of great pubs and bars on the beach front to choose from as well!
- Fremantle Port City - a historical town centre in Perth with shops, markets, cafe strip with fantastic restaurants and coffee shops, plus unique waterfront dining areas. Explore some exciting historical landmarks of Perth as well as a unique shopping experience in the traditional Freo Markets (open Fridays to Sundays)
- Elizabeth Quay - A new city waterfront feature in Perth with pop-up bars and restaurants as well as on-going festivals and events to enjoy all year round.
- Margaret River is only a 2-3hour drive from Perth, you can find an excellent range wind surfing locations, West Australias largest surfing waves and a wide range of brewery's and wineries to choose from in this region too.
- Language Links organises weekly activities, which include most of these attractions and many more! It is suggested that students budget for an average of $10-$20 per week for weekly social outings. Some free options are also available for students to suit everyone's budget!
Important links to know while staying in Perth:
Qantas Airways: www.qantas.com.au
Study Perth (Perth Education City):www.studyperth.com.au
Yellow Pages Phone Directory: www.yellowpages.com.au
White Pages Phone Directory: www.whitepages.com.au
Perth Weather: www.bom.gov.au
Currency Converter: www.xe.com
Search Location: www.whereis.com
Immigration Information: www.border.gov.au
- For more important general information about Living / Studying in Perth please read our 2018 STUDENT HANDBOOK
- For a generic PRE-DEPARTURE GUIDE on 'Living and Studying in Australia', please click here