Overseas Health cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover - OSHC

What is covered?

All overseas students on ‘Student Visas’ must have health cover while studying in Australia.

Language Links arranges OSHC through NIB Australia.

NIB will help you pay for doctors and specialists according to the government-recommended fee (known as the ‘MBS’) also if you need to have a blood test, have x-rays, or need emergency transport to the hospital in an ambulance.

Single, couples, and family cover is available, the monthly cost varies based on the duration of cover.

Visit NIB OSHC for further information on health cover.


Doctors and Specialists

In Australia your doctor is called a GP (or ‘General Practitioner’).

Doctors visits

100% of the government-recommended fee (known as the ‘MBS’) for general practitioner (GP) consultations which are not part of a hospital stay. Note: If your GP charges more than the recommended fee, you will be required to pay the difference (known as a ‘gap’).

Specialist services

85% of the government-recommended fee (MBS) for specialist services including pathology, radiology and other specialists providing treatment which is not part of a hospital stay.


As a nib customer you have the choice of being admitted to a public or private hospital. Private hospitals allow you to avoid long public hospital waiting lists and allow you to choose your preferred specialist.

Public hospital

The amount set by State and Territory health authorities (referred to as the ‘gazetted rate’) for services charged to patients who are not Australian residents. If the hospital charges higher than the gazetted rate you may experience significant out of pocket expenses. Includes:

shared ward accommodation, theatre fees and same day services

accident and emergency services

post-operative services and related medical treatments which don’t require a hospital stay

Private hospital

100% of the rate nib has established with the hospital through a contract. Includes:

private or shared room accommodation

theatre fees and same day services

Note: If you choose to be treated in a private hospital nib does not have a contract with, you will be required to pay any difference between the default benefit and the hospital accommodation cost. nib Agreement Private Hospital.

Prescribed Medicines

nib will help you pay for some prescription medications. Prescription medication is medicine that a doctor has prescribed to treat an illness.

Up to $50 per prescription item listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), after you pay the PBS Patient contribution. You can claim up to $500 per person per calendar year, capped at $1000 for families.

Emergency Ambulance

NIB will pay for emergency and medically necessary ambulance transport provided by a state or territory ambulance service anywhere in Australia. Call out fees (where you are treated at the scene and transport is not required) are also covered. ‘Emergency’ and ‘medically necessary’ is determined by the attending doctor.

100% of medically necessary transport provided by a State and Territory Ambulance Service.